Sunday, July 12, 2009

And the fave one is...


My wife and I were reading and debating through all your great posts and we originally wanted to give 207 prints but we want to send our boys to University one day :) It wasn't an easy task to choose the final one, some of them were very funny, others so creative, touching or just in the same direction of what I would like my work to be depicted. So finally we decided to give away three 13"x19" and two 8.5" x 11" prints.

Thank you so much for your participation!!!

So this is how it ended:

• The Enamored Whale (13x19)

Dena Dalton said...
Why would I love to have a free 13x19 of The Enamored Whale? Because I want my son to grow up with good art work on the wall. His name is Felix and is going to be 1yr on July 30th. I want my son to know what is to have creativity around him other than what is mass produced. Your artwork is something special, and I would love for him to grow up with something special. I had a print of a scary clown juggling on my wall.
I will send you a photo of Felix loving your work.


---------------------

• Yearning for Freedom (13x19)

Rachel said...
Wow! You are one of my favorite artist/illustrators I have seen in a long time. I first saw your work on the "Share Some Candy" blog and looked up your portfolio then. Your work is beautiful. My favorite of the 13x19s is "Yearning for Freedom". I love the color of the cardinal and the subtle variety of textures throughout the background in contrast with the bold shapes of the bird and branch.

The cardinal was my great-grandmother's favorite bird. When my mother was a child and saw a cardinal it always reminded her of her grandmother. They were very close. When my great-grandmother passed away my mother saw a cardinal at the burial and believed it was a symbol of her soul flying to heaven. Now, I didn't know my great-grandmother well as she passed when I was a very small child but to this day when I see a cardinal I think of her and feel a connection to her.

Thank you for your beautiful illustrations!


---------------------

• The Enamored Owl (13x19)

Jiminy said...
Al, I am your conscience,

I will help you to get back to the right way of the classicism ! Give me one of your illustration, The Enamored Owl for example and as I am in France, I will tape it on La Joconde in Louvre (because the curious regard of the owl goes well with the curious smile of Mona Lisa and I suspect you to plagiarize, look at the position for instance...) and to help your psychedelic-pop art to switch to reasonable one, I will tear out parts of The Enamored Owl like a work of Jacques De la Villegle, with yelling mantras to exorcize your audacious freshness which is not recommended in these days of crisis...

In this dark time, you have to STOP using pretty and well matched colors, STOP using flowers patterns, STOP trying new supports or new mediums, you can't continue to despair Graphism students who are not able to do something good with coffee when they mistake the water pot and the cup at 3 A.M..

You can't go on drawing sweet animals and making adults become children falling in Neverland when they take a look at your art !
Peter Pan, get out of this body !

Please have a beer, stay in your sofa and watch C.S.I. Portland (oh sorry, it doesn't exist yet).


---------------------

• Spring Time (8.5x11)

elBarbon! said...
llego un poco tarde como de costumbre pero también me encantaría ganar un cartel tuyo, sobre todo la de Spring Melody, rockea bastante!

¿Porque tendría de ganarmela yo? mmmmmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm, quitando los argumentos de que soy gan fan de tu trabajo, que soy un trabajador del pixel del tercer mundo y mi suledo no me alcanza para pagar $90USD por un cartel, que se vería bastante bien en mi cuarto, que me gustan las calaveras con guitarras, que nunca he ganado nada :( y demás argumentos que han usado 147 personas antes que yo; solo me queda el argumento de que fui tu primer follower en twitter?? apoco eso no vale un cartel?? jajajaja!

Saludos desde el DF!


---------------------

• The Enamored Whale (8.5x11)

Z-Kids said...
My name is Lily, and I love the Enamored Whale too! The background is really, really cool. He is my favorite and I would name him Whaley. It looks like he is looking at me! And I'm 6.
- Lily


---------------------

I will contact them to be sure I have the right addresses expecting to send over all the prints early this week.
Thanks a LOT AGAIN! :D

8 comments:

  1. congrats to the fave ones :) of course I'm a bit disappointed not to get a print, but I agree with your choices and it's very generous of you to send multiple prints out. So keep up making beautiful art anyway, I'll surely check back your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to disappoint some of you, it was a very hard decision to make, actually all this thing was a sweet and sour experience because of that... I really would love to give away one print to every single comment but that's impossible :(
    Thank you for your participation and hope to see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sad that I didn't get your beautiful present..... but as soon as I can with certainty I will acquire one of their works.!
    Even so thank you for giving me the opportunity.!
    Hugs,
    yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to all the winners!

    I wanted the Enamored Owl, but Jiminy's comment cracks me up! Witty witty witty :)

    Shall cross my fingers harder for next time's lucky draw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jiminy5:49 AM

    Hi !

    I just receive The Enamored Owl ! Thank you again !
    I promise to Maya to treat The Owl well.

    And now, I have to explain to Jacques Villeglé why about 100 person from Al's blog have visited his website... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha Jiminy,

    Send the Enamored Owl flying to India someday.. :)

    Am sure he will have a lovely next is your home and you will keep him entertained with your wit.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooops.. I meant 'nest' in the above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grrrrrrrr!!!!!!
    Dejo de chequear tu blog por dos meses y me encuentro con menuda sorpresa que tuviste un sorteo. AAAARGGGHH! Que rabia habermelo perdido...

    Bueno, felicidades a los ganadores. La respuesta de Jiminy esta buenisima, pero elBarbon no se queda atras. Si todas fueron asi de buenas, me imagino el trabajo decidiendo.

    A ver si no me pierdo el proximo (si es que repites algun dia). sniff.

    ReplyDelete